Monday, September 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Mango Habanero Salsa Chicken


I've heard of this before: put some chicken in a crock pot, cover with salsa, add whatever veggies you want and let the slow cooker do the work. Genius! So I decided to give it a try. Someone gave me the idea to use Mango Habanero salsa and I thought it would give a sweet spicy kick. I happened to have frozen corn, pinto beans, and concentrated chicken broth so I added them with the chicken and salsa. But any mexican veggies and beans will do! And broth is not necessary, just makes it more yummy. These ingredients aren't too crazy, so all you should have to buy is the salsa (whatever kind you like). Cheap and yummy? What? Awesome.

Here are the basic ingredients. No prep, just throw it into the crock pot.


My antiquated, passed down crock pot. Again, thanks Mom! The stains truly add character.

Cook on high for at least 6 hours. Warning: it smells extremely good. I think anything will when cooking in a crock pot.


When you can't wait any longer, shred the chicken with two forks. It should pretty much fall apart after cooking for so long. Depending on how much water/broth you add, it may be swimming in delicious juices. You can either eat it as a soup, or ladle some of it out and save it later like I did. If eating as a soup, add sour cream and/or avocado, maybe some fresh cilantro, or eat with tortilla chips. I wasn't in the mood for soup tonight, so I saved some for a later date (freezer perhaps?), took the rest of the juice out, and put it in whole wheat tortillas and had tacos. Add extra salsa on top- YUM. There are many many more uses for this delicious chicken, so check back tomorrow for another recipe :)

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
1/2 jar of mango habanero salsa
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can pinto beans
enough chicken broth to cover chicken
whole wheat tortillas

Directions:
1. Put stuff in crock pot on high for about 6 hours
2. Shred chicken
3. Consume in bowl or enclosed in taco :)


And remember: waste not, want not.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have always enjoyed everything you cook. Can't wait to try this one. What's on the menu for tonight?

    ReplyDelete